Heating Tips to Save You Money
Taking a few maintenance steps before winter can save you substantial money during the heating season.
- Schedule an annual inspection of your heating system.
- Have heating ducts inspected and cleaned, if needed.
- Clean and replace filters on manufacturer’s recommended schedule.
- Lower your thermostat 4-5 degrees while sleeping or when house is unoccupied.
- Check your chimney and make sure your chimney damper is closed when not used.
- Inspect weather-stripping on doors and windows, including garage doors.
- Clean your gutters and ridge vents to prevent standing (freezing) water.
- Plug gaps around pipes, ducts, fans, and vents that go from unheated into heated spaces.
- Check for leaks in an unfinished basement or crawl space and add insulation to basement walls. Close foundation vents in crawl space.
- Check smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.