Your Heating and Air Conditioning System
Most home comfort systems are taken for granted – and ignored – until they fail. There are some simple steps a homeowner can take that will extend the life of heating and cooling systems.
- Change filters regularly following manufacturer’s recommendations
- Clear any obstruction from air vents or return air ducts
- Close your fireplace damper
- Remove any vegetation or trash around outside heat pumps/air conditioner
- Check duct system to be sure insulation is intact and ducts are properly sealed with duct mastic, not duct tape. A few hot summers can cause tape to loosen and allow expensive air leaks.
- Have a professional inspection and tune up of heating and cooling equipment winter and summer. A service maintenance agreement with a qualified company will ensure that all system functions, safety controls and operating systems are maintained safely and properly.